YP is North America's largest local search, media and advertising company. Its mission is to help small businesses and communities grow. Millions of searches occur daily using YP products to find, compare and select local merchants. The company's flagship consumer brands include the YP.com(SM) site, a top 40 U.S. Web domain, the highly rated YP(SM) app and the YP Real Yellow Pages(SM) directory, the largest Yellow Pages directory in the world by revenue.
The company's wide range of print and digital advertising products are designed to address the evolving local search needs of consumers and help advertisers grow their business. The YP(SM) Local Ad Network provides advertisers with an opportunity to reach more than 180 million monthly users across over 300 affiliated online and mobile publishers. Through customized campaigns designed by expert advisors, YP provides local businesses with one of the most cost effective sources for consumer leads.
Photo credit Four Seasons Hotel Atlanta
YP products and service are backed by thousands of media consultants and customer service professionals in local markets across the US with relationships spanning over 600,000 businesses. An affiliate of Cerberus Capital Management, L.P., one of the world's leading private investment firms, acquired a controlling interest in YP from AT&T in 2012.
YP released its latest Local Insights Digital Report, which is focused on uncovering trends across the rapidly evolving local advertising ecosystem. Published quarterly, this Insights Report is based on more than 600 million quarterly searches performed across the YP(SM) Local Ad Network's 300+ online, mobile and tablet publishers.i
"In the first half of 2013, the shift to mobile platforms increased dramatically across several local categories," said Darren Clark, chief technology officer at YP. "At the same time, we are seeing significant investments in the local space from large players trying to capitalize on the growing mobile advertising opportunity. In 2014, we expect our users to do more local searches on mobile devices than on their desktops, emphasizing the importance for businesses to create and manage a presence across multiple channels."
Findings in the Q2 YP(SM) Local Insights Digital Report include:
Summer Heats Up Searches in Key Categories
When the temperature heats up so do searches for select business categories. Now is the time for businesses in these categories to reach potential customers and make sure they are differentiating themselves from competition.
- Consumers booking their summer vacations caused searches for air travel to soar 89 percent compared to the previous quarter, with a huge spike in mobile searches (583 percent). Other travel-related categories also saw gains, including travel agencies (63 percent), passport photo and visa services (56 percent), cruises (40 percent) and tourist information (38 percent).ii
- Last year, the summer months saw a jump in searches for home improvement service categories: pool & spa services, heating & AC contractors, landscape & lawn services and home & garden. Searches for pool and spas spiked 86 percent as summer kicked off last year — the largest quarterly gain for any category. Heating & air conditioner category searches increased 42 percent.iii
Rebound of Housing Market Drive Searches
There were 45 million searches for businesses in the construction industry over the last year, underscoring reports the housing industry is rebounding.iv
- The contractors and construction category makes up 18 percent of advertisers and the building contractors category nearly always falls in the top 10 searched category list. As the housing market continues to recover, this vertical should continue to see a lift in searches in 2013.v
- Mobile searches for contractors and construction businesses grew 68 percent compared to the prior year and now accounts for 37 percent of total searches on the YP(SM)Local Ad Network. Contractor categories that saw the biggest uptick in mobile consumers searching for their type of business include: furnaces parts & supplies (276 percent), septic tanks & systems cleansing (228 percent) and buildings-portable (178 percent).vii
- The fastest growing building contractor categories in terms of ad dollars spent on the YP(SM) Local Ad Network are heating contractors (42 percent), tile contractors & dealers (32 percent) and roofers (18 percent).vii
Shifting Preference for Mobile Impacts Category Growth
Quarterly mobile searches grew 35 percent year-over-year emphasizing the continued shift toward mobile lifestyles.viii
- 40 business categories experienced year-over-year growth of more than 100 percent in mobile searches.ix
- Categories seeing the biggest growth in mobile searches were:x — Air travel (711 percent)
- Military bases (593 percent)
- Transportation services (414 percent)
- Engineers (257 percent)
- Fashion consultants (212 percent)
- The top five mobile local searches were: restaurants, beauty services, auto parts & supplies, auto repair & services and real estate. This compares to the most popular web searches: physicians & surgeons, restaurants, financial services, real estate and legal services.xii
Beyond category searches, this edition of the Local Insights Digital Report looks at popular searches for specific businesses from some of the top searched cities on the YP(SM) Local Ad Network.xii . Download the full report by visiting http://corporate.yp.com
Reach Top Atlanta Luxury local audiences promote on TopAtlantaLuxury.com, learn more click here